Thursday, February 28, 2008

About Tattoo Aftercare?

I'm thinking about getting my 2nd and possibly 3rd tattoos soon, and I have been wondering about what people have to say on the topic of aftercare. I think there are more different instructions on how to take care of a tattoo then there are tattoos out there, and so I've been getting mixed signals. Ok, so I've been told that if, after removing the original film 2hrs after the work is done, I apply a neutral cream (I use Bepanthen) and then wrap it up in cling wrap, that i will have a glossier tattoo. My concern with this technique is that it won't breathe, and friends have said it will be unhealthy as any blood will build up, but my last tattoo I bled minimally if at all.The technique I used last time was to remove the covering and wash with warm water in the shower, and pat it dry, not to pick at the flakes or the scab (though it didn't scab up at all) and not to wear fitted clothing for a few weeks, and apply bepanthen 3 times a day.


Believe it or not, one reputable tattoo artist I have had in the past (for 6 sessions) always said to put nothing on it. Absolutely NOTHING at all. The work always turned out fine. My current artist asks that the ointment be used, but always rubbed in completely, with no traces of it on the surface (nullifying someone else's concerns that it will be sticky and absorb dirty things). It should be more or less dry after you put the ointment on.In about 18-19 tattooing sessions I've had, I have never put any lotion/ointment on more than once per day afterwards, and many times I went without putting on anything at all that day. I always go back to the artists and they say "Wow, that healed up really well."Just think-- "back in the day," were people putting all these ointments on all the time? And what's this "moisterizing" stuff? Did we get tattooed, or did we just come back from one of those places where Korean ladies file your toenails? Now, I'm sure that everyone's skin is a little bit different. What works for me may not work for others...obviously...but can we just forget about over analysing this aftercare business? It's really not THAT significant.

When I got mine he said to remove the bandage a maximum of two hours after getting it so that it can breath. They need to for the healing process and rewrapped tattoos just plain get gooey and gross. I used the technique of unwrapping, rinsing, applying lotion and not scratching or having clothes rub if possible. It worked great for mine.

There is this one spray H20 i received when i got my belly button pieced. And it works really good and kept the redness down. They also have for tattoos, it runs for only about $16 and you can get at a piecing shop or Hot Topic also sells it. Hope this helps

i have six of them and i kept it covered the first day except for putting on triple antibotics the 2nd day i left un covered but kept it moist with the triple antibiotic after a couple days i kept lotion on it . they all look great. all tatoos fade some what if your in the sun.

No comments: